The article listed ten ways to ensure a safe learning environment for LBGTQ students. I thought they were very helpful to know.
1. do not assume heterosexuality
2. guarantee equality
3. create safe environment
4. diversify library or media holdings
5. provide training for faculty and staff
6. provide appropriate health care and education
7. be a role model
8. provide support for students
9. reassess curriculum10. broaden entertainment and extra curricular activities
When I am a teacher I will not allow the use of any gay slurs. Students in my classroom will know that those are harmful and inappropriate. I also want students to know regardless of their sexual orientation, race, gender, ect. that no one deserves to be put down or bullied especially at school. I hope that they know that I am a safe person to talk to and will take any harassment that they may face incredibly seriously. All students deserve for school to be a safe and welcoming environment.