Friday, February 8, 2013

Chapter 15

Turn to p. 559 in Ormrod’s text.  Now, imagine that you are meeting with Ingrid’s grandmother today to explain her scores on the recent standardized achievement test pictured at the bottom of p. 559.  What will you tell her about Ingrid’s performance? her strengths? her weaknesses?

If I was meeting with Ingrid's grandmother I would first start off with the positive. I would let her grandmother know that she did a great job on her social studies, science and reading comprehension scores.  We would talk about how these subject areas are where Ingrid really shines.  
I would then address math concepts where Ingrid scored as average. I would discuss how she is preforming in the class in math concepts and let her know that we will work to keep Ingrid at this level as well as improve in this subject area. 
We would then talk about spelling and math computation, where Ingrid tested at below average. I would let Ingrid's grandmother know what we will be doing in the classroom to help Ingrid improve those scores. We would also review how Ingrid was doing in my class with these concepts to make sure that she was not just having a problem with standardized testing.  I would also suggest working an extra 15 minutes a day at home on these concepts. I would refer her to this website http://www.kidsspell.com/ where Ingrid could play games on the computer to help with her spelling.  This would be a fun website for Ingrid to practice her math computation skills. http://www.coolmath4kids.com/ I would emphasize to Ingrid's grandmother to try to work practice in without overwhelming the student. I would let her know that I will be monitoring her progress and communicating with her regularly. 

1 comment:

  1. One place where we really have to be careful with our language is when we work with parents. Your intent can be quite noble, and parents will still misinterpret you. As I read the post, I could imagine this grandparent forming a division between you and her. It's nice if you can emphasize the idea that you're all in this together for the betterment of the student. Saying so often goes a long way. One thing you do that shows you're on the same team is sharing the resources. It's also good to ask the parent/guardian what they're comfortable helping most with.

    ReplyDelete