Friday, January 25, 2013

Chapter 13



1.      Based on ourreadings and class discussion, how will you create a learning environment thatis conducive to learning? 

  This chapter has made me think not only about the physical environment that I would like to create in my classroom but also an environment that involves a mutual respect between students and teacher.  As for the physical environment, I would like for my classroom to be personalized but not overwhelming. I feel that in the art classroom the wall space is SO important as a place for students to derive inspiration from.  I would like the walls to have examples of student work, posters of work by great artists, and things that I find aesthetically pleasing in general.  Although this may sound like a lot of "stuff" to be on the walls, hopefully it can be organized in a way that does not make a students brains want to explode.  You can group student work by project or by color.  Posters could be framed and hung in a gallery like style...  ect.





   It would also be beneficial to have a poster in the front of the classroom to display a reminder of a short list of expectations for the class.  I want to keep the rules or expectations simple and to not phrase them in statements like DO NOT TALK. That will only create a negative environment and one that is not conducive as a creative space. 



   I found a post on one of my favorite art education websites the other day that referred to the Love and Logic approach that we talked about in class on Thursday. The approach that this teacher is suggesting is a sort of spin on Love and Logic by giving the student a choice. She gives an example of a student using a paint brush incorrectly and getting paint all over a fellow students project. She suggests giving the student a choice of 1. using the paintbrush correctly like we talked about in class or 2. switching to crayons so that he doesn't get paint on his friends painting. Who would want to switch from crayons to paint?! NO ONE.  I think this is a great approach that revolves around building mutual respect between teacher and student.



http://www.theartofed.com/2012/08/15/how-choice-can-improve-student-behavior/



Now consideryour CSEL case study.  Develop a fullcontinuum of responses for dealing with the misbehavior of your case.

My case study that I chose involves a student that is not working well in a group. She is unhappy if she does not get the job she wants, interrupts her group, and does not contribute to the projects.  In this situation I would speak to her outside of the classroom and ask her why she is unhappy working in a group. If there is anything that can be altered to make her feel more comfortable in the group, like rearranging the groups, I would try to alter it. I would remind her how she can be respectful to her group members by not interrupting them and by contributing to projects. I would remind her that if she cannot work respectfully with her group members that there would be consequences. (Maybe no recess or letter home to parents) If in class she still does not work respectfully with her group I would start by cueing. I would keep checking in on that group and use proximity to try to solve the problem. If that does not work, I would rearrange the group and speak with Lisa's parents about the issue. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your point about choice and I am going to check that link out. And also what you said about how to phrase rules in the positive. I think both of those things will really contribute to an accepting, respectful environment that is conducive to excellent art making.

    I also agree that an art room should be visually stimulating!

    ReplyDelete